Tuesday, June 7, 2016

SPRINKLES OF LIFE!

Good morning!

I had hoped to have this post up yesterday but life just happens. This is my second day back to blogging after a month-long hiatus with tendonitis in my right elbow and arm. I'm still working in short spurts. As the arm continues to heal, the posts will become more regular. Thank you for hanging in with me.

Today's post is all about working with what you have.
I have been a Stampin' Up customer since 2005. In fact, today's card is inspired by a stamp set from the 2004-2005 catalog called Hearts and Clovers (page 31)  You can see an example similar to the one in the catalog HERE.
While I have a lot of SU stamp sets, I only have eleven sets that are still current... mostly sentiments that include images. My best prospect for an image-focused card was the Sprinkles of Life set (New catty, page 106) which coordinates with the Tree Builder punch (page 188)

I have nicknames for both of my granddaughters. The youngest is Cupcake. She is just as sweet as can be and I can not get enough of her. This card will go in holding until her birthday in October.

So with this set in hand, I created my first official SU card as a demonstrator.


I began with a white card base (4- 1/4 x 5-1/2) then masked off the bottom 3". Using the 'sprinkles' from the set, I colored them with the only current colors of SU markers I have (originally from an In-Color 2009-2010) I used; Crushed Curry, Bermuda Bay, Melon Mambo and Rich Razzleberry. The only color in the set I did not use was Dusty Durango. As you can see, the colors I used have since become members of our regular color family collections. 

While this step was repetitive, I do like the background this technique created. 
After stamping all of the sprinkles, I replaced the bottom mask with Bermuda Bay (4- 1/4 x 3-1/4) then added a narrow strip of Melon Mambo in place of ribbon (which I did not have)

The Cupcake:

I began by cutting a piece of Crushed curry 2- 5/8" square. Then removed a 1/8" from all sides using the tearing technique, providing a bit of texture. The white mat is 2" square. I created the dot border by adhering a 1-3/4" mask to the center of the mat with temporary adhesive. Then using the fine point of the Melon Mambo marker, I placed dots right up against the edge of the mat about 1/8" apart, then removed the mask.

The base of the cupcake is stamped with Soft Suede. Then I cut the image out with scissors.
For the cupcake frosting, I used a technique called 'ghosting'. 

Ghosting is created by inking your stamp, then stamping lightly onto a scrap. Then stamp your image where you want it with the second pass. This gives your image a more subtle look. While I wanted a strawberry frosting effect, I did not want the color overly bright. The ghosting technique gave me the lighter tone I was looking for.  For an added touch, I stamped the sprinkles on top with the first pass, then the next two passes using the ghosting technique - giving the effect of the sprinkles getting 'lost' in the frosting.  The frosting was punched out using the Tree Builder punch.

I glued the cupcake base to the mat, then used dimensionals to raise the frosting up.

The Sentiment:

The sentiment is stamped in Bermuda Bay on the Whisper White (1- 1/4 x 3/4) then matted on Crushed Curry (1" x 2 ")

I used the Bitty Butterfly punch (pg 187) and Melon Mambo for a touch of whimsy.

This card is a perfect example of you can work with what you have in a pinch... and also allows you to see what you might be missing in your stamp collection. I can help with that. In the mean time, I'm off to fill in a few gaps of my own.

Creative Blessings!
Kelly


2 comments:

  1. Such a cute card, and you gave great directions on how you made it! Congratulations on your first SU! Card as a demonstrater. Your "cupcake" will love her cupcake card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon! I'm please with how this card turned out. And since it's going to a 5 year old in October, I think all paper embellishments works best. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete